Career Test Drive® Kits
As COVID-19 forces schools to adapt, educators need access to engaging curriculum and students need help navigating postsecondary options. To meet this demand, we have created Career Test Drive® Kits that provide students the ability to explore high-growth careers at home through hands-on, guided simulations.
What's Included in the Career Kit Experience
The Career Kit Experience exposes young people to successful career pathways requiring less than a 4-year degree so they can explore their interests and make informed decisions for their future.
Through immersive hands-on activities, Career Kits provide all the materials youth need to "try on" in-demand entry level positions from three different industries: Healthcare, Construction & Design and Automotive.
Virtual LIVE Sessions can include: analyses of career pathways, day-to-day responsibilities for each career, insights from industry professionals, and local opportunities/programs youth can pursue.
Using Nearpod’s video platform, Career Kits provide easy-to-understand instruction to keep youth engaged and motivated through the activity; this can be used with or without additional instructional support.
We offer a portfolio of add-ons you can use to further engage youth, including: a virtual Career Kit Kickoff session, extension activities, and one-on-one Advising (Houston only) for high school seniors.
Reaching Youth at Pivotal Moments
The Career Kit Experience is best implemented at two critical points in the student journey: 8th graders’ transition to high school and 12th graders’ transition to the workforce/postsecondary education. Learn more about each below.
12th Grade Program
Purpose: Expose youth to affordable, in-demand pathways they can pursue immediately after high school; and connect youth to our Advising program to receive one-on-one postsecondary support (Houston only)
Youth select the industry Career Kit most aligned with their interests:
Auto Technician (A) +
Auto Technician (B)
8th Grade Program
Purpose: Help youth make their endorsement area and Career and Technical Education selections for high school
Youth explore (1) career activity from each industry:
Reserve Your Career Kit Experience
Schedule an interest meeting below, or email firstname.lastname@example.org, to reserve your Career Kit Experience at least one month in advance.
Career Kit Pricing for Schools and Youth-Serving OrganizationsPricing is subsidized thanks to funds from our generous supporters
Price valid Spring 2021, limited quantity
Kits are for one-time, single student use
Students keep all materials ($30 value)
Delivery Option - Drop Off
Personal delivery to on-site location
Available to Greater Houston only
Delivery Option - Ship to Youth
Additional postage required
Available for orders inside or outside Houston
Frequently Asked Questions
BridgeYear is a nonprofit organization founded to address the gap between high school and what’s next. We specifically work with students from underserved communities who might not have a plan after high school and introduce them to high-growth, high-demand career opportunities that pay living wages or above.
If you’re interested in Career Test Drive® Kits for the 2020-2021 School Year, use the calender above to schedule a brief Career Kit Interest Meeting with Meredith, our Program Coordinator.
Email our Program Coordinator directly at email@example.com.
We currently feature five high-growth, high-demand careers: Electrician, Finish Carpenter, Health Information Technician, Kitchen & Bath Designer and Medical Laboratory Technician.
Auto Tech coming soon.
Career Kits are designed to last around 2 hours with the following components:
- Hands-On Activity – students simulate a career by learning how to do an essential key skill or task involved in the profession
- Synchronous or Asynchronous – Career Kits offer all students, no matter the technology barrier, an opportunity to explore affordable professions on their own time or at the same time as classroom instruction
- Engaging Instruction – for those with internet access and a mobile device, students watch TikTok inspired simulation videos with near-peer hosts that engage viewers in the activity
- Built-in Scoffolding – as students progress through the simulation, activities become more challenging requiring students to build upon each learned skill
- Extension Activites – students will also have the option to test themselves further through extension activities that offer minimal instruction
- Live Sessions – similar to CTD Fairs, students learn next steps, skills for success, and financial expectations for the career pathway. Students are also encouraged to sign up for BridgeYear Advising to receive one-on-one postsecondary support and connections to partner training programs
Yes, we are now offering the Career Test Drive® Kit program to 8th grade students.
Yes! We now offer our Career Test Drive® Kit program to youth outside of Houston.
No, we are planning to resume regular CTD Fair programming once state and local ordinances deem it safe to do so. Due to the engaging and hands-on nature that makes our CTD Fairs successful, we will be implementing various health precautions to ensure the safety of students and staff according to practices recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to combat COVID-19 transmission.