Career Test Drive® Kits
As COVID-19 forces schools to adapt, educators need access to engaging curriculum and students need help navigating postsecondary options. To meet this demand, we have created Career Test Drive® Kits that provide students the ability to explore high-growth careers at home through hands-on, guided simulations.
Career Kit Programming
Career Kits provide hands-on career exploration accessible individually at home or through small group settings in the classroom
Students complete immersive simulations utilizing written and/or video instruction available on any mobile device
Students attend a virtual session to debrief the activity, learn about career pathways and connect with industry volunteers
Advisors access a portfolio of career planning extension resources they can engage students with including a Program Comparison Matrix
meet the industries
Chat with our programming team!
Frequently Asked Questions
BridgeYear is a nonprofit organization founded to address the gap between high school and what’s next. We specifically work with students from underserved communities who might not have a plan after high school and introduce them to high-growth, high-demand career opportunities that pay living wages or above.
If you’re interested in Career Test Drive® Kits for the 2020-2021 School Year, use the calender above to schedule a brief Career Kit Interest Meeting with Meredith, our Program Coordinator.
Submit an interest form for each desired Career Kit: Healthcare and Construction & Design.
We know not all students have access to stable internet connection. So, we made sure that our Career Kits were accessible with or without internet.
Four high-growth, high-demand careers will be featured: Electrician, Finish Carpenter, Health Information Technician, Kitchen & Bath Designer and Medical Laboratory Technician.
Career Kits are designed to last around 2 hours with the following components:
- Hands-On Activity – students simulate a career by learning how to do an essential key skill or task involved in the profession
- Synchronous or Asynchronous – Career Kits offer all students, no matter the technology barrier, an opportunity to explore affordable professions on their own time or at the same time as classroom instruction
- Engaging Instruction – for those with internet access and a mobile device, students watch TikTok inspired simulation videos with near-peer hosts that engage viewers in the activity
- Built-in Scoffolding – as students progress through the simulation, activities become more challenging requiring students to build upon each learned skill
- Extension Activites – students will also have the option to test themselves further through extension activities that offer minimal instruction
- Live Sessions – similar to CTD Fairs, students learn next steps, skills for success, and financial expectations for the career pathway. Students are also encouraged to sign up for BridgeYear Advising to receive one-on-one postsecondary support and connections to partner training programs
No, the Career Test Drive® Kit program is currently only designed for high school students.
If you want Career Test Drive® Kits for students outside of Houston please fill out this interest form so we can gauge demand to expand programming accordingly.
No, we are planning to resume regular CTD Fair programming once state and local ordinances deem it safe to do so. Due to the engaging and hands-on nature that makes our CTD Fairs successful, we are implementing various health precautions to ensure the safety of students and staff according to practices recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to combat COVID-19 transmission.
Due to the engaging and hands-on nature that makes our CTD Fairs successful, we are implementing various health precautions to ensure the safety of students and staff according to practices recommended by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) to combat COVID-19 transmission. We plan to resume CTD Fair programming once state and local ordinances deem it safe to do so.